gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 14 Jan 2003 11:40:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Sun Ultra 10, Install Help

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 11:27:19AM -0500, Michael Bevilacqua wrote:
> ... or install XCDRoast. I remember seeing a function that allows you to
> create a sparc bootable image.

Last I heard, XCDRoast used cdrecord for it's backend.

And, in any case, I can assure you that cdrecord can make sparc
(the 64 isn't particularly relevant in this case; the boot PROM's
the same) even though I've never used it for that, as Schily develops
it under Solaris on sparcs.

> An alternative to this is booting from tftp/rarp which is very useful
> and easy once you get the hang of it.  My instructions for doing so are
> at the Plug's HowTo site.

Probably less painful if you don't want to learn too much about how
OpenFirmware works.

(Erm, well maybe. Just booting from a properly-burned CD-ROM will be
easier than booting using rarp and tftp, but getting the device tree
listings through a serial terminal is more painful than net booting.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net