Tobias DiPasquale on Tue, 14 Jan 2003 11:54:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Sun Ultra 10, Install Help

On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 11:27, Michael Bevilacqua wrote:
> ... or install XCDRoast. I remember seeing a function that allows you to
> create a sparc bootable image.

Right, if you are CREATING an ISO image. A pre-made ISO should already
have done this, if it claims to be bootable on Sparc.

> On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 11:13:42AM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> > Check the cdrecord man page. I'll be there's something special you
> > need to do to a cdrom to put a boot sector on it.

There is, but that's not what he needs (re: above). IF an ISO image is
El Torrito bootable, it will boot on Sparc using the commandline that
Naresh was using. I've done it literally hundreds of times. I'd wager
that the problem is also not with the CD-ROM drive, as "boot cdrom" will
boot from CD on any Ultra 5/10/Blade 100/150 with only one CD-ROM drive.

The problem is more than likely with the Sun firmware (btw, Sun doesn't
use OpenFirmware on Ultra 5/10's, Gabe; it's some broke-ass hacked-up
Forth interpreter that does the job on the PROM for those lowly
machines). I've experienced this myself from time to time. A perfectly
good ISO will not boot from CD, giving some bus errors and confusing the
hell out of me. My experience has been to just reburn the CD and try
again. Your cdrecord flags are correct; it's the shitty Sun firmware's
issues that you are experiencing. However, I've never experienced this
with CD's that were stamped (i.e. CD's that were purchased from Sun to
be installed on a Sparc)... my theory is that there's something they are
doing that I just don't know about to make it work every time.

I can't get to the website at the moment (it appears to be down), but go
back to carroll.aset.psu.edu and make sure that the image you downloaded
claims to be bootable on Sparc. You would see that output if it was not
a bootable ISO image, as well.

--
Tobias DiPasquale
88FA 30C9 1E63 CFE2 CBD8  37C4 DA1C E2BF 1D26 F036