William H. Magill on Wed, 15 Jan 2003 13:00:16 -0500

Re: Speakeasy status (Re: [PLUG] DirecTV switchover)

On Wednesday, January 15, 2003, at 11:07 AM, Kevin Brosius wrote:
No, that's the problem. No sync (and no dsl light.) Both Power and Sys
lights come up solid green, after Sys blinks for a few seconds during
startup.

Sadly, I've already been through three NID (outside phone box - Network
Interface Device) tests with them on the phone.  That's part of why I'm
unhappy with their diagnostic capability.

This is the biggest issue with getting a new DSL line up and running.

Getting Verizon to get the DSLAM in the Central Office configured, and then getting the configuration saved so that the next CO reload won't loose it.

As far as testing is concerned, the ISP subcontracting with Verizon (or Covad) cannot do any testing at the DSLAM level if the DSLAM is not correctly configured and the line "up and running." All that they can do is to tell that the DSLAM isn't talking to anything on the other end. They then have to put a trouble ticket in with Verizon or Covad and wait for them to "roll a truck" to troubleshoot the problem.

However, watch your sync light -- it may just miraculously come on some evening. (My experience is that the 2nd shift (4pm-12am) seems to be where all of these things get fixed, unless they have to actually swap out a card in the DSLAM or "finish" the CO wiring.)

DSL connections are different from regular phone line activations in that someone must physically enter the CO [most COs are un-manned these days] and run a pair of wires from the frame where your phone line appears over to the DSLAM racks, and back again. Regular phone line connections are all "pre-wired" and are simply activated at the CO Switch.

For some reason, getting DSL started is STILL a painful process. And it doesn't seem to matter who the ISP is. However, once it's functional, it will probably run "forever."

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org