Tom on Thu, 16 Jan 2003 20:18:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] SCSI cases

The load from Cyberguys may be a 25 Watter, I can't tell from the photo.  The
5.4 Ohm would work on the 5V line.  The design of the power supplies requires
a load on the 5V line only.  The +/- 12V & -5V lines are controlled by the 5V
line so they don't need a load to regulate them.  I have an AT supply running
at home with a PC-104 CPU board on it.  I "obtained" a 5 Ohm, 25 W resistor
from my former employer.  The 12V lines and -5V stay well within tolerance
with no loads on them.

YMMV,
Tom

On Thursday 16 January 2003 15:53, Paul wrote:
> So, a push-button switch, debounce IC, ATX power supply, and one or more
> hard drives would make a happy family, huh?  Hey, if there's a market
> for adapting ATX cases to run without mobos, I'll start producing the
> devices.
>
> The 5W, 5ohm sounds right for 5V.  The pre-made testers seem to use a
> 5.4ohm, 25W resistor.  Sounds like they are using it on a 12V line.
>  (Isn't 25W too low, especially if it's encased?  My calculations
> suggest a 26.67W resistor. )

<snip>