Paul on Thu, 16 Jan 2003 23:58:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] SCSI cases

To which pin would you connect the power-on LED?

It sounds like a 5ohm, at /least/ 5W, resistor would work for testing. Testing should only happen briefly anyway.

Connecting the resistor to a drive cable is a good idea. That way if power supply is being tested the resistor can be added. If the power supply is used for something like a drive case the resistor can be removed. That can't be done with an integrated tester.

I used to start up AT power supplies without loads. Of course the voltage was off, but they never had a problem. Why is it a problem with ATX supplies?

Tom wrote:

The load from Cyberguys may be a 25 Watter, I can't tell from the photo. The 5.4 Ohm would work on the 5V line. The design of the power supplies requires a load on the 5V line only. The +/- 12V & -5V lines are controlled by the 5V line so they don't need a load to regulate them. I have an AT supply running at home with a PC-104 CPU board on it. I "obtained" a 5 Ohm, 25 W resistor from my former employer. The 12V lines and -5V stay well within tolerance with no loads on them.