Will Dyson on Fri, 17 Jan 2003 01:41:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] gui file manager recommendations

Michael Bevilacqua wrote:

:under Debian or it will take over your desktop. There is probably a way to compile it w/o that feature in Gentoo. I just haven't had the time as of yet to try.

There is a gconf key that nautilus looks at to determine weather to draw the desktop: /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop. This can be set in the Nautilus prefs.

Assuming we are talking about gnome2, anyway.

My personal opinion of Nautilus is only so-so. It mostly works (except when it crashes), but it puts too much effort into being pretty and not enough into being useful. I like the ability to add scripts to a menu and have them be passed the current selection.

Konq is pretty nice in general. I haven't used it a lot, but it generally seems to do what it is supposed to.

Freshmeat lists more file managers than you can shake a stick at.
http://freshmeat.net/browse/860/?topic_id=860

I still haven't found a file manager that gets in my way as little as the BeOS's Tracker and Deskbar did...

--
Will Dyson
"Back off man, I'm a scientist!" -Dr. Peter Venkman