gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 20 Jan 2003 15:28:17 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Linux boot disk to replace XP Admin password?

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 02:58:50PM -0500, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> Heck, now that they have these new bootable firewire drives, any machine
> that supports that is also wide open. Mac hardware users can talk more
> about this. Can one put the macos on a iPod and use it to boot a mac? I
> don't know.

Don't think you can set the Apple partition types up properly on an
iPod to be a boot device.

But if it's an OF Mac (and all the new ones are), and if the iPod is
recognized (on boot) in the OpenFirmware device tree, then yeah,
sure.

> Anyway, I appreciate your comment about how windows protocols mean that a
> compromised client can compromise the server. I didn't know that, and I'm
> not an expert on security. Can someone please post how to stop this? If I
> have an NT box locked down as a fileserver only, in a closet, how do I
> assure that this isn't broken into when someone knocks over the public
> terminal clients?

Not making it part of the same domain for logins seems like the
obvious answer. (If you want a Unix machine to not fall down if the
rest of the NIS domain falls down, you don't make it part of the NIS
domain.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net