Paul on Tue, 21 Jan 2003 11:50:30 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Certifications

As a MCSE (Passed all test three years ago I believe.) I had the same experience studying for the tests. The certification itself isn't worth much, but what I had learned is still with me.

As far as which certification to pursue, forget going vendor-neutral. That's what the A+ and newer CompTIA tests try to be. Even the A+ is really a hardware/Microsoft cert. People like big names. RedHat is, or is becoming, one of those names.

epike@isinet.com wrote:

well i've finished level 2 --- for personal use it has helped
me understand things I would not have taken trouble to learn
(such as DNS) if there werent an exam for it.  It was good learning
experience for me.  The good thing about LPI is that it forces
you to learn just about everything for a given topic since
as you mention there are no study guides at all for level 2 and
theres no way to anticipate what type of questions will be
asked.  For employment use though, nobody is looking
for it (yes ive tried).

I'm thinking of RHCE too but its expensive.