gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 27 Jan 2003 12:32:04 -0500

Re: [PLUG] SSL Cert question

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 12:12:38PM -0500, Jason Wertz wrote:
> My question is, how do you get a certificate for a machine that doesn't
> have a web server on it?

I use openssl(1).

http://www.pseudonym.org/ssl/ssl_cook.html may help with the
details.

> I've only ever generated a CSR using web server
> based tools and in this instance I want a cert for a non-web serving
> machine...actually a desktop client.

You want to generate a key and, with it, a certificate signing
request. Send the CSR to a Certificate Authority, and you'll get a
signed certificate back. Store that in a file, and point cURL at it.

> The government specifically stated
> a Verisign Class 1 digital certificate (which I'm assuming is a server
> cert and not a web browser client cert).

Don't recall the details of the differences between Verisign
classes, but Verisign isn't the only people who'll sell you one. (I
don't *think* the government is saying, "You must buy from Verisign,"
there, I think they're saying, "You must use a certificate
authoritiy that adheres to the standards initially implemented by
Verisign," but you should check to make sure.)

> Oh yeah...I typed this message in a text editor at < 80 columns and
> pasted it into GroupWise. I hope that works, our email admin won't make
> the formatting change for 1 user. His response...nobody uses a text
> based email client :-)

It worked, and he's wrong. I do the same thing with Outlook (which I
run through a Citrix client on my NetBSD workstation) at work.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net