Tobias DiPasquale on Mon, 27 Jan 2003 12:47:04 -0500

Re: [PLUG] SSL Cert question

> My question is, how do you get a certificate for a machine that doesn't
> have a web server on it? I've only ever generated a CSR using web server
> based tools and in this instance I want a cert for a non-web serving
> machine...actually a desktop client. The government specifically stated
> a Verisign Class 1 digital certificate (which I'm assuming is a server
> cert and not a web browser client cert).

% openssl genrsa -out privkey.pem 1024
% openssl req -new -key privkey.pem -out newreq.pem

Then send the newreq.pem to Verisign and have them return to you an
actual SSL certificate. Keep the privkey.pem file, as well, as you'll
need both of them.

--
Tobias DiPasquale
88FA 30C9 1E63 CFE2 CBD8  37C4 DA1C E2BF 1D26 F036