kaze on Sun, 02 Feb 2003 23:21:05 -0500

RE: [PLUG] OT: wanted busted laptop for use as server

I do like doing that kind of thing, and, alas, have a child too. Actually I
would prefer to build a small form factor machine to do this stuff, but
figure a laptop would be simpler. The main reasons I like a laptop: quiet,
low or now noise; with battery and on AC it deals with power issues nicely;
small.

Insofar as specs, not much. The purpose is to be a file and print server for
Mac, Windows, Linux machines for at most two users at a time. If I can do
USB as well as a parallel printer then I could hang two printers off it,
which would be nice. I'm planning on file sharing being pretty minimal, and
then quickly growing to exceed the capabilities of the setup;) Specifically
CPU > PII 266, RAM >= 64 MB, HDD >= 2 GB, 10/100 MB Ethernet; mostly just
for snappy print queuing of graphics.