sean finney on Mon, 03 Feb 2003 09:10:35 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Moving a lot of user accounts

agreed, acls are definitely the best solution...

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 12:36:39AM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> The Right solution to this problem is ACLs, and it's positively
> woeful that Linux still lacks them except in third-party file
> systems (XFS and AFS). ACLs mean that I, as the sysadmin, need not

not completely true.  someone's written an acl patch for ext2/ext3
as well:

http://acl.bestbits.at

the only trouble is that the ext3 version doesn't seem to get
along with quotas or SMP very well, which kind of sucks if you
just bought an smp fileserver, and even more if this is for a
system that needs quotas.  of course what would be _really_
nice is if linux NFS supported it as well, so it could be used in a
network environment as, say, a drop-in replacement for a solaris server
(or for the solaris clients) in a certain un-named cs dept.

also, afaik netBSD et al. also don't have any native file systems with
acls either, though, correct?  i sent an email to current-users
this summer asking about that, and the general response was that
they hadn't gotten around to it yet either.

	sean