Fred K Ollinger on Mon, 3 Feb 2003 11:28:09 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Moving a lot of user accounts

> > The Right solution to this problem is ACLs, and it's positively
> > woeful that Linux still lacks them except in third-party file
> > systems (XFS and AFS). ACLs mean that I, as the sysadmin, need not

However, the xfs filesystem which is in the later, stable kernels does
have support for acls. It did from the start. There are debian and redhat
installer cd isos available, though the default RedHat doesn't support xfs
last time I checked so I can see how someone might believe that an
acl-aware filesystem is not available in the linux kernel w/o a patch.
Untrue.

The xfs filesystem has been part of linux stable kernel since version
2.4.19, IIRC.

Note that if you install acls and you backup w/ old backup utilities, you
will not preserve acls. However, the xfs filesystem has a program called
xfsdump which will preserve them. There are a plethora of other cool
utilities for working with xfs that have been ported to linux. Like ext3,
xfs supports journaling.

Fred Ollinger