Jason Costomiris on Mon, 3 Feb 2003 21:27:15 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Laptop Recommendations

On Monday, February 3, 2003, at 06:13  PM, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 05:56:07PM -0500, William H. Magill wrote:
[General agreement]
The only downside I know of is with the old TIbooks -- they have their
antenna's in the wrong place. I get about twice the signal strength
with my iBook when sitting next to a TIbook. But that is fixed in the
new powerbooks and they support bluetooth and WiFi (11g)on the same
box, out of the box.

Have you actually seen that to be fixed, or are you going on Apple's "Yes, we know it's a problem."

They actually fixed it in the AlBooks. Those machines use the new Airport Extreme card, and have the antennae next to the screen.

If I drop money on a new iBook, I'd really rather not also drop
money on another WaveLAN card (since I obviously can't use my
existing one, since that will obviously turn into the stereo's
remote control ;^>).

If I were going to buy an iBook right now, I'd think twice.. I might think about getting the 12.1" AlBook. It's a G4/867, and you can get a SuperDrive in it. It's more $$ ($1999 vs. $1299), but I think the faster CPU, better video and SuperDrive might be worth it.

--
Jason Costomiris <><
E: jcostom {at} jasons {dot} org / W: http://www.jasons.org/