Jason Costomiris on Mon, 3 Feb 2003 21:22:16 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Laptop Recommendations

On Monday, February 3, 2003, at 05:19  PM, Chris Hedemark wrote:

But from a desktop perspective there is still a lot of stuff missing. I
don't know if we'll ever get it because it goes against Apple's idea of
what is stylish. For example, I'd like to have X11 more seamlessly
integrated, possibly to the point of having Aqua run as an X11 window
manager so I can export the display, tunnel it through ssh, etc.

Install Apple's X11 distribution. It does what you want. You still have to start up the X server, but aside from that it works the way you're looking for.

Aqua
also needs virtual desktops. Those cinematic displays are cute but leave
me wanting for more desktop real estate, especially vertical space.

http://space.sourceforge.net/

Some of the iApps are still flaky.  Mail.app hosed on me in a major way
last week, and I'm still cleaning up from that mess.

What did it do? I've been using Mail.app for several months now talking IMAP/SSL to my mail server as well as to my .Mac account without any trouble at all..

The TiBook has had a couple of hardware problems:
1) Question mark key broke off.  Guess I was asking too many questions.
Quick run to the Durham apple store and it was fixed for free.

Same thing happened here, but with the U key. Apple sent me a replacement keyboard at no charge.

--
Jason Costomiris <><
E: jcostom {at} jasons {dot} org / W: http://www.jasons.org/