Edward M. Corrado on Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:02:09 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Laptop Recommendations

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Jason Costomiris wrote:

> If I were going to buy an iBook right now, I'd think twice..  I might
> think about getting the 12.1" AlBook.  It's a G4/867, and you can get a
> SuperDrive in it.  It's more $$ ($1999 vs. $1299), but I think the
> faster CPU, better video and SuperDrive might be worth it.

I really like the new 12 inch PowerBook and I would have
recommended/mentioned it to the original poster except for a few things:

1) I'm not sure how well Linux supports it yet. For example, I don't
know  if the video card (NVIDIA GeForce 420 Go) is supported by any Linux
distro yet (I know it wasn't by Yellow Dog a little after the first came
out (and they (terrasoft solutions) are not currently selling the 12
inch PowerBook so  my guess is that it isn't - but maybe another distro
does). Also, I know that the Airport Extreme wireless card also wasn't
supported when I looked into it. I'm sure both of these will be solved
soon, but if you want to run Linux now....

2) It costs more then he said he wanted to spend (although I still think
it is a good value for the price)

3) The XP thing. I'm happy to hear the reports that it runs well under
Virtual PC. I may have to look into that more when it is time to replace
my work laptop this summer. If I can get M$ Access and OBDC drivers to run
on XP on Virtual PC, I might be good to go with get the PowerBook. If
anyone has run Access with OBDC drivers to connect to a remote
(Oracle) database, please let me know. I need to do this to run/print
reports that our Library Online Database vendor supplies.

Ed C.