William H. Magill on Tue, 4 Feb 2003 16:04:04 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Laptop Recommendations

On Monday, February 3, 2003, at 06:13 PM, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 05:56:07PM -0500, William H. Magill wrote:
[General agreement]
The only downside I know of is with the old TIbooks -- they have their
antenna's in the wrong place. I get about twice the signal strength
with my iBook when sitting next to a TIbook. But that is fixed in the
new powerbooks and they support bluetooth and WiFi (11g)on the same
box, out of the box.

Have you actually seen that to be fixed, or are you going on Apple's "Yes, we know it's a problem."

Jobs made specific mention of the problem and their success in resolving it at the MFSF introduction of the new PowerBooks.

If I drop money on a new iBook, I'd really rather not also drop
money on another WaveLAN card (since I obviously can't use my
existing one, since that will obviously turn into the stereo's
remote control ;^>).
(Plan on using that one in your iPac?... :)

The antennas in the new PowerBooks are in sides near the top of the screen with "RF transparent" windows -- as it was with the original iBooks. The TiBooks had issues with the RF "opacity" of Titanium from what I understand.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com