gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 4 Feb 2003 18:20:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Laptop Recommendations

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 04:03:52PM -0500, William H. Magill wrote:
> Jobs made specific mention of the problem and their success in
> resolving it at the MFSF introduction of the new PowerBooks.
[...]
> The antennas in the new PowerBooks are in sides near the top of the
> screen with "RF transparent" windows -- as it was with the original
> iBooks. The TiBooks had issues with the RF "opacity" of Titanium from
> what I understand.

There's no RF shielding (or, the manufacturer is pretty stupid if
there is) on the antenna of my Prism2 card, and it's range, while
better than a tiBook, is nowhere near that of my (un-extended by
antenna attachment) WaveLAN card.

So, again, has anyone actually USED these new laptops and OBSERVED
that Apple's problem is fixed, or is this all still marketing paint?

(Not accusing anyone here of lying, I'd just like to know whether
the promise of a fix holds up in the real world, not that Apple
promises it's fixed.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net