gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 4 Feb 2003 15:27:09 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Moving a lot of user accounts

Devil's advocation:

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 02:19:05PM -0500, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> OK, I'll bite. The first reason, that shame on you for thinking that this
> is all going to get done w/o people who care participating. If you want ls
> to have acl, the source is there, add it.

No it isn't. Not for Solaris, HP/UX, AIX, Irix, BSD/OS...

What makes you think we're talking specifically about Linux here?
The whole point is that this needs to be the same cross-platform. In
point of fact, if Linux (specifically, if Red Hat) kernels shipped
with a file system that supported ACLs and the NFS implementation
supported them (maybe it does; it's mandatory for NFSv3, I think),
then my specific circumstance would work, between Solaris and Linux.
But there are *way* more possibilities out there than that
combination.

> > Why haven't they bothered to support them?
> >
> > Because the code hasn't been touched since about 1980.
>
> Again, from coreutils:
>
> 2002-10-05  Jim Meyering  <meyering@lucent.com>
>
> A bit different from 1980, but then this was a joke, I know.

Swell. GNU ls(1) didn't EXIST in 1980, to the best of my knowledge.
William (whom you neglected to cite, incidentally; tsk tsk ;^>) was
speaking towards the (originally central, though now diaphorous)
Unix source for ls(1). And he didn't mean "hasn't been touched"
literally, but that the basic internal functioning hasn't changed in
that time. And that's true of GNU ls(1) too.

> "Linux", meaning RedHat, will have acls as soon as linux (kernel) 2.6
> comes out.

Maybe I missed that press release. Where are you getting that
information?

And what does "have ACLs" mean... that they'll be supported in ext2
and ext3? Or that Red Hat will default to a file system other than
ext2 or ext3 in order to have them? (The latter seems pretty
unlikely... they've got a stated policy of sticking with ext. Stated
to me--and quite a few of the rest of you--by a Red Hat tech whose
name escapes me who came through with the Red Hat Road Tour.)

> As far as stability, I don't know, but the xfs filesystem has been around
> for longer than linux.

That says very little about the stability of its integration with
the Linux kernel, though.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net