Fred K Ollinger on Tue, 4 Feb 2003 14:28:04 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Moving a lot of user accounts

> On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 11:27:22AM -0500, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> > The xfs filesystem has been part of linux stable kernel since version
> > 2.4.19, IIRC.
>
> um, i guess they must have forgotten it in mine.  in fact, i don't see
> it in 2.4.20 either.  the first version that i can find it in is 2.5.38, and

Look under filesystems in menuconfig (or xconfig).

Here's a bit of the latest changlog (I don't have time to download the
kernel 2.4.19, unzip it and make menuconfig right now):

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/ChangeLog-2.4.20 (grep for
xfs)

When QA testing XFS 1.2 we observed in-memory corruption under extreme
	load (fsx, usemem & bash-shared-mapping) when using block size <
pagesizes.

> it wasn't in 2.5.31[1].  correct me if i'm wrong, i've never used it.
> i know there's been a patch available for it that's been considered stable
> enough to go into the default _redhat_ kernel, but afaik the debian
> folks don't patch the kernel at all for the default image (there's an
> apt-gettable patch and patched image though, iirc).

apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4

This has xfs and reiserfs and ext3.

Here's an installer for xfs out of the box for debian:

http://www.physik.tu-cottbus.de/~george/woody_xfs/

These disks exists for RedHat as well (google is your friend).

Fred Ollinger