Fred K Ollinger on Tue, 4 Feb 2003 14:20:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Moving a lot of user accounts

> The reason that ACLs are not obvious as file permissions is because the
> folks who maintain "ls" haven't bothered to support them.

OK, I'll bite. The first reason, that shame on you for thinking that this
is all going to get done w/o people who care participating. If you want ls
to have acl, the source is there, add it.

I went to try just that and here's what I saw:

>From coreutils:

#include "acl.h"

This is in debian-testing. I'm sure that more work has been done on ls
since then.

Looks like I'd just be duplicating efforts.

> Why haven't they bothered to support them?
>
> Because the code hasn't been touched since about 1980.

Again, from coreutils:

2002-10-05  Jim Meyering  <meyering@lucent.com>

A bit different from 1980, but then this was a joke, I know.

> Just because something works does not mean that it is not obsolete.

That should be left up to the individual.

> And because ls doesn't support ACLs most SAs wouldn't know an ACL if
> they tripped over them because the books and people teaching SAs "all
> about Unix" don't know anything about them.

Never having taken a course on unix, I do know about them. Everyone on the
plug list does now.

[snipped out a bunch of interesting information.] Thanks for that
informative post.

"Linux", meaning RedHat, will have acls as soon as linux (kernel) 2.6
comes out.

In any distro, you can get acls right now, if you know where to look.
As far as stability, I don't know, but the xfs filesystem has been around
for longer than linux. The specific code for the linux version is
obviously, much younger, and from the linux kernel changelogs, it
underwent quite a bit of changes. Don't let this scare you away, so did
ext3 _and_ ext3. I don't know enough about kernel development to say how
important these changes are:

www.kernel.org

has a list of all the kernel changes, you can download them and grep for
your favorite filesystem of choice. Look at the last two kernel
iterations, you'll see your favorite filesystem being changed there.

Good day,

Fred