christophe barbe on Sat, 08 Feb 2003 12:21:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Without OS X

On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 12:48:48AM -0500, Jason Costomiris wrote:
> How about:
>
> 1. Pull all the pictures off of my digital camera and import into my
> photo software
> 2. Run over each image to get the color levels, etc. straightened out
> 3. Output a slideshow in Quicktime format with music behind it.

You are right stay on your proprietary environment to create proprietary
output.

> Takes about 2 minutes on OS X...  The process is:
>
> 1. Plug in camera
> 2. Wait for iPhoto to finish launching
> 3. Switch to Import Mode
> 4. Click Import
> 5. Click on each photo and do a "One-click Enhance" on each.
> 6. Click to output a slide show, choose my background music and save it.
>
> On Linux, I'd be stuck checking to see if I can get gphoto or somesuch

That's funny that you use this example because I am a member of the
gphoto project. Suffice to say that we have also GUI apps using the
gphoto library. But strangely none of them produce closed-format files.

> to slurp the images off of my camera.  Once doing that, I'd have to
> manually do all 5 or 6 operations that iPhoto's one-click enhance does,
> then figure out a way to output the slideshow as a movie file of some
> sort.

But I agree that iPhoto is a nice app (let apart the silver theme
which sucks). I am working on an another project that I hope will make
you find another example as soon as he is ready for prime time.

Christophe

> I don't know of anything on Linux that can output slideshow movies like
> that...  Don't get me wrong, I love Linux.  I use it on all of my
> servers, but I just don't think it compares to OS X for a desktop
> platform.
>
> What do I like about using Linux for my servers?  It just works, and
> works well.  Same goes for OS X, but for the desktop...
> --
> Jason Costomiris <><
> E: jcostom {at} jasons {dot} org / W: http://www.jasons.org/
> Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.

An empty stomach is not a good political advisor.
-- Albert Einstein