gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 10 Feb 2003 10:30:33 -0500

Re: [PLUG] favicon

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 09:06:12AM -0500, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> Making bookmarks has never seemed to me like a complicated task that
> warranted server-side support.
>
> What problem do these things solve?

The pictorially identify a website in bookmarks, in browsers that
support them.

For intance, if you goo to www.foo.com, their title page may say
"Foo, Inc.", but after you've drilled down into their products page,
you may see something like in <title> like "Products - Bar Slicer!".
If you bookmark that and come back to it later, you'll have no
context. The theory seems to be that a miniature icon will be
clearly representative of the website where you found this link.

I think they're far too small to be usefully recognizable later, and
I'm perfectly capable of renaming bookmarks I make myself, but that
seems to be the general idea.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net