Bradley Molnar on Mon, 10 Feb 2003 18:37:18 -0500

RE: [PLUG] Without OS X

I do wish to interject something.

with my all lucent setup for wavelans/orinoco equipment, Redhat 8, "Just
Worked (tm)", both at school with a RG-1000 and at home with a P-2-P
network.

-b

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of Leonard Rosenthol
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2003 4:35 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Without OS X

At 3:47 PM -0500 2/7/03, christophe barbe wrote:
>I fail to see what would take more times to be done under linux than
>under Mac OS-X. Perhaps an example to illustrate would help.

	802.11/wireless support is my favorite example.

	On Mac OS X, you put the card into the slot and "it just works".

	On Linux, you have to deal (possibly) with older kernels that
have to be updated/recompiled, devices, etc.

	Another good/related example is switching from static to
dynamic IP addressing - such as when you go from work to home (or
vice versa).  On Mac OS X, you just plug in and it works - you don't
have to do ANYTHING.   On Linux, it's a MAJOR pain.

>  > needs to be.  The three words you will hear a lot from OS X users is
>>  "it just works".
>
>I have more experience with Mac OS-X server than with Mac OS-X and I can
>tell you as a user that the three words "it just works" doesn't apply.

	What version of Mac OS X Server?  (No -'s here).

LDR