Paul on Wed, 12 Feb 2003 01:54:04 -0500

Re: [PLUG] nis or ldap

From my experience with NIS, it is insecure and Unix-centric. From my experience with LDAP, it is difficult to configure, but easy to use. I would suggest trying LDAP. You can use LDAP for authentication, address books, other things that I'm not thinking of...

If all you want to do is authenticate, maybe someone else will recommend something easier.

nash oudha wrote:

hi guys

i dont know how came i'm in plug mailing list, but i have been getting all those mails whitchs for ages sounds like an alien language in my ear. but now its time to ask my question.

as mcse network admin. i build a local network like this... klick klick...klick and i dont have to understand what went on just as far as microsoft want me to know. since one of my best frinds asked me to make a lan for his new office based on linux domain i told hem not to warry u r at the right address so i grap madrake 8.2 (easy i heard) install a server and some clients i have chosen NIS as auth. with help of webmin i managed to run a DNS and dhcp but ...
when i'm traying to log in from a linux box i got something like yellowpages plaplapla domain not bound

does some one know what went wrong?

shouldnt i use the light one ldap and what is the diverence between them?