Michael C. Toren on Wed, 12 Feb 2003 13:01:09 -0500

Re: [PLUG] OT: Reading ext3 partition

> Subject: Re: [PLUG] OT: Reading ext3 partition

Personally, I think this is very on-topic for PLUG.

>  I have installed freBSD on my other harddisk, and I am trying to read
> my Linux partition, ext3 (/dev/hda3). I have compiled a custom kernel
> freeBSD 4.7 kernel with EXT2 support. And I try to mount it like this:
>
> # mount -t ext2fs /dev/ads03 /linux
>
> And I get a VFS error. Has anyone mounted ext3 fs on FreeBSD? If so can
> you please help me?

I remember hearing from others that this was indeed possible, but I don't
have a FreeBSD machine around right now to try myself.  Perhaps the ext3
partition wasn't cleanly unmounted?  If you do something along the lines
of:

	dd if=/dev/ads03 of=/tmp/foo bs=8k count=1
	file /tmp/foo

what is the result?

Thanks,
-mct