William H. Magill on Sun, 16 Feb 2003 14:50:30 -0500

Re: [PLUG] mac os x scanner NOT printer

On Sunday, February 16, 2003, at 10:13 AM, Fred K Ollinger wrote:

Whatever it takes to get this scanner working. I just want her to be able
to do it. She's very far away, and I don't think I'd be able to make it to
her place again. I just want to tell her what to do to get this working.

In any case, has she got Photoshop for Mac OS X? (Does Adobe even
make that? I presume that they do...) If so, same deal, presuming
the scanner speakes TWAIN; just do an "Acquire..." from the File
menu, and pick TWAIN.

No. She has photoshop for OS 9. The "aquire" used to work via twain in OS
9, now it doesn't. So I guess that the scanner speaks twain. But it
doesn't work anymore. :(

Epson scanner hardware "tends" to support TWAIN.
However, Epson seems to only support an ancient version of TWAIN (1.1) ...

Epson's scanners/printers come with their own CD full of drivers for OS X.
There is a recently updated set of drivers for Jaguar (January) if your printer/scanner is older than that. There is also another set on the Epson developer site. But, at least for me, they don't seem to make any difference.

However, most all "current" Epson PRINTERS apparently work "out of the box" with the Apple OS X (CUPS) drivers provided. Many older models are supported via gimp-print.

Scanners, on the other hand are a different problem.

The problem seems to be that Epson's software (Epson Scan to File) works fine with this set of drivers, but not other things. (It recognizes my scanner as a TWAIN scanner.)

I have a brand new Epson CX5200 - "All-in-1" printer copier scanner (USB). It prints fine. And it scan's fine with the Epson software. However, I haven't yet found the magic combination that makes it scan with other packages - Readiris 7.6. Readiris documents the problem with the Epson TWAIN versions on their website, but as yet has no work-around. (They have one for OS9, but not for any version of OS X.)

Readiris also points out that they will utilize the Photoshop plugin if one exists. Supposedly, Epson has installed one... someplace. However, since I do not have Photoshop installed, it may not have installed one in the "Photoshop Plugin directory" -- and just not bothered to tell me that. Now if I knew where the "Photoshop Plugin Directory" was supposed to exist, and it's "expected" name, I might be able to dummy up something that will work. So far (10 days), I have not gotten a response from either Epson or Readiris on the problem, so I suspect that they have no answer -- but then again, their email support may just suck.

I havent' put all the pieces together yet into a logical whole, but OSX TWAIN support is apparently located in:

/Library/Application Support/TWAIN/
/System/Library/Frameworks/TWAIN.framework

/Library/Image Capture/TWAIN Data Sources
/Applications/Image Capture.app/Contents/Devices/TWAIN_UI.device

Image Capture is Apple's application. It identifies my scanner as "EPSON TWAIN 5"
using the "TWAINBridge.app" interface.

T.T.F.N. William H. Magill # Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg # Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg # PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a magill@mcgillsociety.org magill@acm.org magill@mac.com