William H. Magill on Mon, 17 Feb 2003 11:01:07 -0500

Re: [PLUG] mac os x scanner NOT printer

On Friday, February 14, 2003, at 03:09 PM, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
Can someone please give a suggestion. Here's the problem. Scanner worked
flawlessly. The user upgraded (by herself, I wasn't there) to jaguar.
Scanner doesn't work.

By the way... meant to ask... When you say upgraded -- do you mean from 10.1.5 or from OS 9?

It's not surprising that a scanner that worked under OS 9 would fail to work under OS X. (Printers as well).

Other than that... after upgrading to 10.2.4 (which came out on Friday) I find that I can now scan using the Epson TWAIN driver with my Epson CX5200 - "All-in-1" printer copier scanner (USB) and Readiris Pro as well as via both Apple's image capture program (Applications/utilities). Since there doesn't appear to be anything involved with TWAIN in the upgrade, I suspect that I got caught on the classic unix conceit -- "you don't have to reboot when playing with hardware." This particular upgrade does require a reboot after installing a new kernel.

So, at any rate, you can down load the Epson TWAIN drivers from the Epson developer site...www.epsondevelopers.com ... which is off the air currently.

It appears that the 1650 is not supported by Epson under OS X. (Epson apparently doesn't consider it a "production" model any longer... the 1660 being the current version. If you follow the links from the 1660 to tech support to OS X at the bottom of the page (not the note at the top)... they have the 10.2 TWAIN drivers there... (no idea if this URL will copy, it is extremely long... [TWAIN driver v5.75a]

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/ supDetail.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0155216478.1045496017@@@@&BV_EngineID=ead cghgjgkkibfdmcfjgckidnk.0&infoType=Downloads&oid=14583&prodoid=21643925

ftp://ftp.epson.com/drivers/epson10588.sea.hqx

And for what it's worth, it appears that all of their supported TWAIN scanners use the same driver. (Epson apparently names files sequentially on their ftp site.)
T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com