gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 20 Feb 2003 11:47:04 -0500

Re: [PLUG] OT: Defualt Sun partitions

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 11:35:28AM -0500, Jeff Weisberg wrote:
> it tells the automounter to read the map from NIS. so if you
> have NIS up and running, everything will just magically work.

Makes sense (and I've seen it happen, but didn't know that that's
what was making the map be there, just thought the NIS+ RPC daemons
were doing their thing and I got lucky by having the right thing in
/etc/nsswitch.conf).

> unfortunately, sun doesn't seem to document very well their
> "vision" of how this should go together.

Well. I'm sure this is all in one of those "Best Practices" documents
you can find if you dig through Sun's web site enough (I'd recommend
googling with site:sun.com).

> I often see people
> setting end-user home directories to '/export/spare/$user',
> and it just makes me shiver....

What, you mean "/export" isn't self-documenting?

;^>

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net