gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 20 Feb 2003 20:30:32 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Re: cru vs. veritas backup utilities

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 02:10:30PM -0500, Adam Lazur wrote:
> The sysadmins I know use amanda. http://www.amanda.org/

Amanda has some serious hamstrings.

It can't do multi-volume backups. (See
http://amanda.sourceforge.net/fom-serve/cache/32.html.)

Last I checked, though I can't find a reference saying it right this
second, you had to use GNU tar, which is *way* slower than some
other options (like, say, Schily tar).

It doesn't know about libraries in the same way that Veritas/Legato
do (note that BRU *does*, in many cases), which can make using them
way more hassle than with a piece of proper management software.

Any of these alone would be a show-stopper except on home systems...
all of them together is pretty much unbearable.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net