Tobias DiPasquale on Fri, 28 Feb 2003 16:10:37 -0500

Re: [PLUG] how kernel compiling works

On Fri, 2003-02-28 at 18:37, Wayne Dawson wrote:
> I got a message toward the end of the make bzImage command which indicated
> that my kernel is too big for "standalone" boot from floppy.  Should I
> worry about this?  If the computer fails for some reason, I want to be able
> to move the SCSI interface to another computer, plug my external RAID into
> it, and boot from a premade floppy for this purpose.

You can boot from another SCSI/RAID-capable floppy disk. There are
plenty out there; you don't need your specific kernel for this. You
shouldn't worry about that message. Alternatively, it will still fit on
a CD, so you could make a bootable CD from your kernel and use that.

--
Tobias DiPasquale
88FA 30C9 1E63 CFE2 CBD8  37C4 DA1C E2BF 1D26 F036