eric@lucii.org on Sat, 1 Mar 2003 12:46:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Samba - user mounting a drive

On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 10:37:53AM -0500, Paul wrote:
> Looking at my list of services in RedHat 8.0, it looks like "netfs" will
> automount NFS, SMB, and NCP exported filesystems or shares.

I'll have to look at netfs - I had not heard of it and we are working
with a RH 8.0 workstation.

> Does the automounter unmount automatically?

I don't know how it works yet.

> How many computers are you dealing with?

Small to medium size businesses... 2 to several hundred users.

> Have you tried smbmount to see if it leaves the share mounted?

It leaves it mounted even after you exit KDE or Gnome.

> Not that the automounter is a bad idea.  I'm just trying to think of a
> way to do it in the simplest way with least number of utilities,  And
> I've been thinking of this type of solution.

I, too, would like the simple solution.  What I'm doing is helping a
friend who has a existing consulting business to move from being a
Microsoft shop to being a Linux shop.  He's really excited about it and
he knows what the customers need so it's good to see it from his
perspective.  We've got to make the transition as smooth and easy as
possible.

For the server side it seems like the transition will work out fairly
well except for missing some of the colleration facilities provided by
Microsoft Exchange (for a heafty price).  The user side is a different
matter.  RH 8.0 (download) seems nice and clean but we've encountered
some trouble with things.

For example, evolution would not sync with a palm.  We could not get the
"channels" set up to save our lives.  We upgraded to evo 1.2.  Presto!
The channels can be set up and it works.   Unfortunately, that broke
something in both gnome and KDE because the button on the toolbar that
used to invoke evolution will NOT appear in the menu for any new users
that we add. $#^=-*$&%^(@!!  Now, where is _that_ documented?  I cannot
find it at either RedHat's site or Ximian's site.  Sign.  The phrase
"not ready for prime time" has popped into my head several times.

I'm a tech guy but I've done mostly database, systems integration, and
some application's development.  I'm not an admin so setting up a system
to handle multiple users easily is new territory for me.  Some things I
understand - others I'm clueless on.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Eric