Paul on Sat, 1 Mar 2003 22:27:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Samba - user mounting a drive

gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 07:59:15AM -0500, Paul wrote:

What about just putting a smbmount command in one of the login scripts?

Hopefully you mean to X not to the shell. You don't want users
executing smbmount with every new shell.

Oh, yeah.  True.

I like the idea of using automount so I'll be experimenting with that.
If we can automount the user's home directory and the shares then so
much the better!

Automounting's the right way to do this because it doesn't rely on the GUI. Any user who logs in in any way should get this, it shouldn't be relying on your GUI logins.

Maybe, for such a large number of computers. I was thinking that it was only a few PC's, but we're talking up to a few hundred clients.

Does the automounter unmount automatically?

It unmounts automatically after a timeout. Yes, even if the user's
still logged in (though obviously it can't if a directory under the
mount is in use). That's okay, because it remounts again on any use.

That's right. Sounds like the right solution. But, are the "shares" going to be NFS or SMB?