eric on Tue, 4 Mar 2003 16:43:04 -0500

Re: [PLUG] CDROM making me crazy

Farther down the CDROM road...

The scsi dds3 tape drive is on /dev/st0
The Travan tape drive is on /dev/st1

I can confirm both with:

mt -f /dev/st[1|2] retension

and the respective drive starts running.

The CDROM is nowhere to be found.  Not on /dev/hdc or /dev/sr*
(the latter devices don't exist on this box).

In the lsmod command I see that the ide-scsi module is installed
and the cdrom module is not.

dmesg tells me this:

scsi1 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
  Vendor: Seagate   Model: STT8000A          Rev: 5.02
  Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
  Vendor: TEAC      Model: CD-532E           Rev: 1.0A
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
st: Version 20020205, bufsize 32768, wrt 30720, max init. bufs 4, s/g segs 16
Attached scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
Attached scsi tape st1 at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
hdc: DMA disabled
hdd: DMA disabled
ip_tables: (C) 2000-2002 Netfilter core team

If I want to see the CD-ROM I can follow this sequence.

# rmmod ide-scsi
# insmod cdrom
# mount /mnt/cdrom

Works fine but now the retension command for /dev/st1 fails
with "no such device or address".

Where else could the CD-ROM device appear?  I don't see it in
the dmesg output or /var/log/messages.

Eric