Paul on Mon, 10 Mar 2003 18:46:01 -0500

Re: [PLUG] GnuCash

If the application is written well, you shouldn't be "forced" to learn about the underlying technologies, other than to get the system running initially. You definately should never need to directly use an SQL statement in an accounting program. On the other hand, the source code is available to allow you to learn as much as you choose.

As far as my GnuCash adventure goes, I have learned that GnuCash can use Postgres as a backend. Also, using cygwin (totally free) I can run a X server on my Windows PC, "ssh -X ipaddress" to my Linux PC, start GnuCash and have it appear on the Windows PC.

Benjamin W. Dugan wrote:

I haven't used GnuCash, but last week I started setting up Sql-Ledger on
a test basis.  I want to switch from an old Mac program (MYOB) to
something under linux, and I just thought Sql-Ledger looked good.  I
also wanted to try setting it up because it will force me to learn a bit
about things like Postgres, sql, perl, and databases in general.  Oh-- I
almost forgot: it forced me to set up Apache on one of my machines for
the first time, which was interesting in itself.

If I get it all working well I post a review...

(And I'd be interested in anybody else's perspectives on Sql-Ledger if
theyhave any.)