Bob Schwier on Sat, 15 Mar 2003 10:07:10 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Home Networking Question

Mere amplification of a weak signal also amplifies the noise in the same
frequency range.  What's called signal to noise ratio is not necessarily
improved.  This is actually more fatal in data communication than in
speech or even music because of the required bandwidth being significently
greather.   The ideal aatena permits you to adjust the apparent
antenna length and the dimensions of the tank filter that determines which
frequency you get.  Apparant antenna length determines the ideal receiving
frequency for a particular antenna.
bs