Wayne Dawson on Wed, 19 Mar 2003 05:53:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] how to put partitions on RAID?

At 09:44 PM 3/18/03 -0500, you wrote:
> Where should I put the commands to assemble my /dev/md* devices so that
> they can be seen and/or mounted at boot time?

I don't know about grub but i know lilo can understand the superblocks and
boot up from the raid partitions. Once it starts booting It behaves just
like any other install. it will mount the filesystems you have in
/etc/fstab.

It's interesting that documents I've seen on the web specifically say I should use grub. <http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/install_rh8.htm> That's the only reason I went to grub. Not that I really understand lilo particularly well either- although it should just take a little bit of reading.

On the subject of raid partitions being loaded at boot time, I discovered a section of /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit that sets up any raid devices it finds listed in /etc/raidtab, so I created that file (mdadm doesn't use it) and made sure I can assemble the raid devices with raidstart (worked without a hitch), then I made the /boot partition on sda bootable and told my CMOS to try booting from scsi before trying to boot from ide. It didn't work: the computer just stopped after it finished its ROM stuff as though it couldn't find a bootable device, although it never complained.

Nor do my raid devices get assembled when I boot from hda1 with /etc/raidtab in place....

Well I boot from raid.  I don't even have the modules compiled into the
kernel. I just made sure my initrd.img had everything i needed in it.

Ok, this is another thing I need to learn more about. Maybe I'll be able to use the stock RH8 kernel.

I mostly work on debian
systems,so I'll only be able to help you out with the general linux issues.

That's fine, thanks for your help so far.

To satisfy my curiosity, Why are you playing with raid stuff?

It's an imap mail server I'm setting up, so I want the data to be secure.

Wayne