Michael Bevilacqua on Fri, 21 Mar 2003 07:33:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] /etc on a separate partition

On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 06:08:14AM -0800, Wayne Dawson wrote:
> There are other things I
> can try (I haven't looked at initrd for example), but it's not worth
> spending more time on, unless somebody can give me a short and clear
> procedure for doing it.

Under Debian, you can:

apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-686

then add:

initrd=/initrd.img

to your /vmlinuz stanza in lilo.conf respectively.

Under Redhat,

su -
cd /usr/src
wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/linux-2.4.18.tar.bz2
tar -jxvpf linux-2.4.18.tar.bz2
cd linux
make menuconfig

Block Devices -> RAM Disk Support [Y]
Block Devices -> RAM Disk Support -> Inital RAM Disk (initrd) Support [Y]

Finally select the remainder of the hardware you need supported as modules

mv /lib/modules/2.4.18 /lib/modules/2.4.18.v0

make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install

cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18

/sbin/mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.4.18.img 2.4.18

Add the following to your /etc/lilo.conf replacing hd? for your root filesystem

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18
        label=linuxTesting
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.18.img
        read-only
        root=/dev/hd?

then run lilo

reboot

> Here's what I have, in case anybody wants to do that.  Red Hat 8, two
> SCSI disks in an enclosure that is separate from the CPU, with an
> Adaptec SCSI interface card.

In my experiences, there are times you must disable IDE completely to
boot from SCSI. Have you tried that?

> I am currently running the stock RH8 kernel with a driver for the
> Adaptec card running as a module, but I have a kernel that I compiled
> with the SCSI driver and RAID compiled in.  Any takers?

FYI: The stock Redhat kernels *are* initrd enabled kernels (AFAIK)

--
Regards,

Michael Bevilacqua

   ~