Wayne Dawson on Fri, 21 Mar 2003 08:58:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] /etc on a separate partition

At 07:32 AM 3/21/03 -0500, you wrote:
On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 06:08:14AM -0800, Wayne Dawson wrote:
> There are other things I
> can try (I haven't looked at initrd for example), but it's not worth
> spending more time on, unless somebody can give me a short and clear
> procedure for doing it.

Under Debian, you can...
Under Redhat,...

I'm sorry, the "it" in question is getting the system to boot from raid, not getting initrd to work.

> Here's what I have, in case anybody wants to do that.  Red Hat 8, two
> SCSI disks in an enclosure that is separate from the CPU, with an
> Adaptec SCSI interface card.

In my experiences, there are times you must disable IDE completely to
boot from SCSI. Have you tried that?

I thought it might be a boot-from-scsi problem, rather than a boot-from-raid problem. That's one of the avenues of things to try that I gave up on when I decided I had spent way too much time on this problem. However, I really don't like giving up like that. So: what do you mean by "disable IDE completely", and how do I do it?

> I am currently running the stock RH8 kernel with a driver for the
> Adaptec card running as a module, but I have a kernel that I compiled
> with the SCSI driver and RAID compiled in.  Any takers?

FYI: The stock Redhat kernels *are* initrd enabled kernels (AFAIK)

Yes, you're right. My /boot/grub/grub.conf has stuff in it about initrd. I don't know how it can be used to make the system boot from raid, though. If there's some simple way to use lilo to make the system boot from scsi raid, I'll be happy to switch to it.

Thanks,
Wayne