Wayne Dawson on Fri, 21 Mar 2003 06:11:36 -0500

Re: [PLUG] /etc on a separate partition

At 12:53 AM 3/21/03 -0500, you wrote:
On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 12:36:52PM -0800, Wayne Dawson wrote:
> Well thanks, but I don't just want to "make more partitions". The purpose
> is to minimize the effort and time that would be required in various
> failure/recovery scenarios. If my /etc resides on raid, all the specific
> config stuff for my system is protected by being on the raid. Also, my
> raid is in a separate enclosure from the cpu, so if the computer itself
> dies, I want to be able to take the scsi interface card and raid enclosure
> over to an arbitrary computer and be up and running again with a minimum of
> hassle.

well, why don't you just put the whole root filesystem on the raid then?

Um. Thanks for the suggestion. It's what I've been trying to do for several days, and I can't seem to make it work. There are other things I can try (I haven't looked at initrd for example), but it's not worth spending more time on, unless somebody can give me a short and clear procedure for doing it.

Here's what I have, in case anybody wants to do that. Red Hat 8, two SCSI disks in an enclosure that is separate from the CPU, with an Adaptec SCSI interface card. I am currently running the stock RH8 kernel with a driver for the Adaptec card running as a module, but I have a kernel that I compiled with the SCSI driver and RAID compiled in. Any takers?

Thanks,
Wayne