gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 21 Mar 2003 12:58:17 -0500

Re: [PLUG] /etc on a separate partition

On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 06:08:14AM -0800, Wayne Dawson wrote:
> Um.  Thanks for the suggestion.  It's what I've been trying to do for
> several days, and I can't seem to make it work.  There are other things I
> can try (I haven't looked at initrd for example), but it's not worth
> spending more time on, unless somebody can give me a short and clear
> procedure for doing it.

Um, Wayne, there's a point at which asking a LUG mailing list for a
little help crosses the line to asking other people to do your
homework for you. You've crossed that line with me, and I don't
think I'm alone.

What you want to do is NOT simple. If it's going to work and be
maintainable (by YOU) you need to understand far more about the IA32
boot process than, demonstrably, you do.

Having us write up a set procedure for how to do this might get you
through this one time, but it won't get you through any problems you
may have eventually, and it strikes me as a bit dishonest for your
cleints (you *did* say you were getting paid to set this up, didn't
you?).

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net