Wayne Dawson on Fri, 21 Mar 2003 12:18:09 -0500

[PLUG] root on raid (was: /etc on a separate partition)

At 09:56 AM 3/21/03 -0500, you wrote:
well it may be that your system has trouble booting from your scsi/raid.
do you have an extra ide drive in there too? you could put /boot on that
drive, install the boot sector on it, and then your system will boot
up off that and mount the root partition off the scsi device.

Yep, I have an ide drive in the box with the processor. Currently I have /boot and / on the ide. When I tried to put / on the external scsi raid, I had problems and assumed the problems were because of the boot process depending on stuff that's in, for example, /etc.

alternatively, it might just be some obscure bios setting that's keeping
you from being able to boot off the card...

Yes, it might just be a boot-from-scsi problem, instead of a boot-from-raid problem. Although I still don't quite understand how the boot process works so that it would allow boot from raid. One of the things I've done to understand it better is to go through "From Power Up To Bash Prompt", but it doesn't seem to deal with things like, for example, how booting with initrd works.

Wayne