gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 26 Mar 2003 22:28:08 -0500

Re: [PLUG] job finding resources for the philadelphia area

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 07:04:54PM -0500, sean finney wrote:
> i'm in the process of trying to find myself a job in the philly area, and
> was hoping i could tap on this list to get some good resources/advice/etc.
> does anyone know of any mailing lists or search engines?  other avenues?
> things to avoid?

One of those headhunter websites is local (well, regional)... don't
quite recall exactly which one off the top of my head, but I usually
hear their ads on the way to or from work, so I'll post again if I
recall. It's www.job<something>.com. jobpostings, maybe?

The topic's come up more than a few times on PLUG, so you could
email mct privately and pester him about getting the archives online
(or some nice person could point out here that they have that thread
archived :^>).

www.philadelphiarecruiters.com and www.philadelphiajobmarket.com
both exist, but I can't vouch for them.

Someone I trust (and it may have been *you*) pointed out that
slashdot has a decent job search engine, and Istr that userfriendly
does as well (though it's maybe west coast-centric).

If you aren't already, you should get subscribed to the Swarthmore
CS department's job-opps mailing list. (C'mon, it'e easy, and you
can just add yourself directly without even talking to majordomo.
;^>)

When I was fishing around for summer jobs and consulting work, I
found the most important thing was to be listed in a variety of
places (though uniformly would be good; you've got a resume put
together, right?). I got plenty of calls. Most didn't work out
because I couldn't take a full-time job while I was still employed,
and I got the job I have now by a senior developer at my employer
noticing I knew what the hell I was talking about on PLUG, but that
doesn't mean that the headhunter approach never works.

The environment isn't exactly rosy, but it is on a bit of an upturn.
Most especially, people who actually have a clue are (finally)
getting jobs again, and companies are noticing that paper MCSEs are
maybe not all they're cracked up to be (computertraining.com's
commercials notwithstanding).

I didn't find Swarthmore's career planning office to be much help
in locating a job if you didn't want to go into some kind of
econ-related consulting work (and I don't think that you do), but
they definitely have people who know the right and wrong ways to
present various things on a resume, so meeting with them isn't a
total dead-end (despite your recent less than ideal experience).
Maybe in one of their "resume workshop" kinds of things (they do
those through the spring semester, right?).

Floating your availability through PLUG (like this!) and PADS
(Philadelphia Area Debian Society) couldn't hurt either. Here, at
least, that's not inappropriate. I'd check the PADS posting rules
before I did so there (just because *I* don't know).

And, you know, there's always the Math Forum... ;^>

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net