Will Dyson on Thu, 27 Mar 2003 02:13:46 -0500

Re: [PLUG] cdparanoia and cd-rw

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 18:59, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

> I can use the cdrom (cd-rw) just fine for many things: playing cd's,
> reading cdrom's, etc. I can run cd-disc-id just fine. But cd-paranoia
> isn't happy.

[snip]

>   Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
> 	  Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
> 		  /dev/scd0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
> 	  Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
> 		  No generic SCSI device found to match CDROM device /dev/scd0

You don't mention cd burning as one of the things you can do with this
drive, even though it is a cd-rw.

You need to be able to send raw scsi commands to the cd device in order
to burn cds or use cdparanoia. The cooked ioctrl() interface is the
interface that is used to send scsi commands to a cdrom using the ide-cd
driver (atapi can basicly be seen as scsi commands over the ata bus).

Your cdrw is probably an atapi device, rather than scsi (scsi burners
are rather expensive, for no particular reason other than low production
volume). But it is being represented as a scsi device by the ide-scsi
kernel, so /dev/cdrom is a link to /dev/scd0 (if you are using a modular
kernel, you'll see sr_mod in lsmod). The /dev/sg* devices are the
interface used to send raw scsi commands to a scsi device (an evil
interface if I ever saw one).

You need to have permission on /dev/sg* in order to send these raw
commands to your cdrw (and probably write on /dev/scd0 as well). You may
not have that now, because the ability to send raw scsi commands to any
scsi device on the system is the ability to lock the computer up hard,
or wipe the filesystem (if it is on a scsi disk, of course).

--
Will Dyson
"Back off man, I'm a scientist!" -Dr. Peter Venkman