Tobias DiPasquale on Thu, 27 Mar 2003 11:41:27 -0500

Re: [PLUG] [off-topic] Question about Session Support Mechanisims

On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 10:18, Kyle R . Burton wrote:
> We don't have any IIS/ASP gurus here, so I'm looking to see if anyone
> has had any experience in working with sites that use ASP, and did
> URI encoded session ids.  Is there a plug-in that can make the development
> and maintenece easier?  Does ASP have some kind of support for it?  Or
> would this fall to the third-party consulting company having to roll
> their own session handling system, and subsequently be ultra-vigilant
> in writing the pages to always include a session id as a query parameter?

ASP does have a session ID mechanism in place already and full support
for it. This may be what they are using currently. If not, there are
plenty of URI-decoding libraries in other languages such as Perl, Python
and Ruby. I'm not sure if the ASP Session ID requires cookies or uses
the originating IP and source port, instead (I believe it is the latter,
so this is most likely what they are doing). Check MSDN for info on the
ASP Session ID.

--
Tobias DiPasquale
88FA 30C9 1E63 CFE2 CBD8  37C4 DA1C E2BF 1D26 F036