W.Chris Shank on Sat, 29 Mar 2003 10:08:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] OSS desktop (windows) anti-virus?

On Friday, March 28, 2003, at 05:58 PM, Mike Leone wrote:

W. Chris Shank (chris.shank@acetechgroup.com) had this to say on 03/28/03 at 16:07:
It is again and again - every year. $60per machine per year gets

$60? Last I heard, the retail sign up was $29.95 per yr, which someone told
me only a couple months ago.
I just saw on their website that they reduced the price to 29.95 if you get it over the web.

expensive. From what I can tell - you can't get the definitions without
the subscription service.

Someone else sent me the link to the definitions -which is great. However, I really like them to auto-install. I wonder if I setup a script to automatically download the new defs - I could get the windows machines to install them on login? This is probably a real pain in the ass. At $30 each - I may be able to swing that on all the machines.

Thanks for your feedback.

When I get back to work on Monday, I'll email you the link for the download.
You should be able to *get* the definitions; now, as to whether they will
*install* is a different matter. I think the updates check the subscription
status of the retail versions. I dunno; I use the Corporate Edition, and I
know I can download the updates for Exchange every few days, and they for sure
install. (the Exchange version only downloads a set number of times per
month, so sometimes I download more often by hand)

As for every year, if you're using a version that is multiple years old on a
Windows platform, it would be in your best interest to update to a newer
version, just for the engine updates.

Mike Leone said:
W. Chris Shank (chris.shank@acetechgroup.com) had this to say on
03/28/03 at 13:56:
Does anyone know if there is any good OSS windows anti-virus software
taht is pretty good? Or, better yet - does anyone know how to get
around norton live-update subscription service so that virus
definitions are
atuomatically updated without this subscription service? A 1 year
subscription comes with the software, after that you have to pay again
and again.

It's yearly, isn't it, not really "again and again"?

Anyway, you can (or used to be able to) download the definitions file,
and manually update (I used to do this, on Windows, and for Netware and
Exchange).

I suppose you could script something to
do the download, and run the install manually (you'd have to figure out
the filename, since it contains the date of the update). Is there a
Windows wget you could run from the Windows scheduler service?

<mime-attachment>