Mike Leone on Sat, 29 Mar 2003 16:09:14 -0500

Re: [PLUG] OSS desktop (windows) anti-virus?

W.Chris Shank (chris.shank@acetechgroup.com) had this to say on 03/29/03 at 11:11:
> This is where I think that norton has crippled their system. I'm not
> sure if I can automate the update (from any location) without the
> subscription service. But I will look into it further, thanks.

There are options when executing the EXE of the latest definitions. I think*
*one of the options is "quiet", so you could execute it from a script, at
login or whenever. Problem is, if it looks for a certain registry entry or
file that indicates that you paid for the subscription, before it continues
decompressing and installing, then you may be SOL with that $30 per machine.
And I believe that is the case these days (it didn't used to be).