Chris Hedemark on Tue, 1 Apr 2003 17:16:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] RFC: seeing other LUG meeting announcements on PLUG list?

This touches on something I wanted to do with my metalug.org domain. Posted here for comments.

I was thinking along the lines of people setting up accounts with their ZIP code, and then a preference for how many miles from their ZIP code are they interested in Linux events for. LUG's post announcements based on the ZIP code of their event. Thus people get announcements based on how far they are willing to travel for Linux events. Poor college students without transportation can set a low threshold like 2 or 3 miles. People in the boonies can say 40 miles (which is totally normal traveling distance for a lot of other user groups outside of the northeast corridor).

If you get real fancy you can even say limit the main topic to Linux events, BSD events, PGP/GnuPG Keysigning events, etc. But for now I'm just suggesting geographical preferences.

--

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?" - Mahatma Gandhi