Kevin Brosius on Tue, 15 Apr 2003 12:12:16 -0400

Re: [PLUG] List archives back online

"Michael C. Toren" wrote:

> I'm pleased to announce that the PLUG mailing list archives are now
> back online at <http://lists.netisland.net/archives/plug/>, and that
> the link from the website at <http://www.phillylinux.org> has been
> updated.  I apologize for the delay, but there was a fair amount of
> work involved: three weekends ago I spent about eight hours extracting
> list messages from my personal mail archives (including the time it
> took to diagnose and fix bugs in grepmail[1]), two weekends ago I was
> sick, one weekend ago I simply didn't have free time to work on it,
> and this past weekend I spent about five hours researching various
> HTML conversion options and finally ended up tweaking MHonArc to do
> most of what I wanted.
>
> A few other random notes about the archives:
>
>    - I was able to find data going back as far as 1997, covering
>      several incarnations of the list hosted at various sites and
>      utilizing various MLM software.  If anyone has any data going
>      back farther, please let me know and I'll incorporate it.
>
>    - In mbox format, there are a total of 93M of archives available
>      to date.
>
>    - For now, there's only one set of archives for both the plug
>      discussion list and the plug-announce list.  If anyone really
>      cares, it would be possible to separate it out, but I don't
>      know that it's worth the additional time.
>
>    - MHonArc breaks GPG signatures, which is fairly annoying but to
>      be expected when converting messages to HTML, I suppose.  As a
>      workaround, I've also included links to the raw mbox archives.
>
>    - MHonArc also breaks threads which take place over the course of
>      two months, but this isn't obvious when you're looking over the
>      monthly "thread index" page.  I know of no workaround.
>
> If anyone has any comments or suggestions, please let me know.

Sounds great!  I just happened to be looking for mbox files over the
weekend to test a mail archive package, and grabbed the 2003 plug
archives to try out.  The archiver I'm looking at is
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lurker .
If anyone wants to see it, it's temporarily set up
http://kevb.net:3000/lurker/ .  No guarantees about it being up all the
time.

It does support searching.  And yes, I know about the XSL/XML problems
on Netscape/Mozilla.  It also renders badly on older versions of
Netscape.

--
Kevin Brosius