Michael C. Toren on Mon, 14 Apr 2003 14:57:14 -0400

[PLUG] List archives back online

I'm pleased to announce that the PLUG mailing list archives are now
back online at <http://lists.netisland.net/archives/plug/>, and that
the link from the website at <http://www.phillylinux.org> has been
updated.  I apologize for the delay, but there was a fair amount of
work involved: three weekends ago I spent about eight hours extracting
list messages from my personal mail archives (including the time it
took to diagnose and fix bugs in grepmail[1]), two weekends ago I was
sick, one weekend ago I simply didn't have free time to work on it,
and this past weekend I spent about five hours researching various
HTML conversion options and finally ended up tweaking MHonArc to do
most of what I wanted.

A few other random notes about the archives:

   - I was able to find data going back as far as 1997, covering
     several incarnations of the list hosted at various sites and
     utilizing various MLM software.  If anyone has any data going
     back farther, please let me know and I'll incorporate it.

   - In mbox format, there are a total of 93M of archives available
     to date.

   - For now, there's only one set of archives for both the plug
     discussion list and the plug-announce list.  If anyone really
     cares, it would be possible to separate it out, but I don't
     know that it's worth the additional time.

   - MHonArc breaks GPG signatures, which is fairly annoying but to
     be expected when converting messages to HTML, I suppose.  As a
     workaround, I've also included links to the raw mbox archives.

   - MHonArc also breaks threads which take place over the course of
     two months, but this isn't obvious when you're looking over the
     monthly "thread index" page.  I know of no workaround.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,
-mct

[1] <http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=4214994>